Veterinary Hospital Under Construction: A Real Challenge

I know how to treat a urinary tract infection in a cat, but I don’t know what colors to pick for the new kennels. I know how to make a vomiting dog to feel better in no time but I have no clue when Keith, the contractor, asks โ€œWhere do you want the sockets in the exam rooms, Doctor McLahan?’ Yet these are the questions at hand.

Turns out that retrofitting a veterinary hospital into a 100-year-old bank building isn’t an easy task. Especially when trying to juggle a full-time job, order the right equipment, find the best employees and not overspend the budget.

It feels great though. I get to choose how things will be done. My fifteen years of experience at other animal hospitals has come in handy: I know exactly what I want (and, just as important, what I don’t want!). Sometimes I just don’t know exactly how I want it. With help from friends, family and professionals, everything tends to get sorted out in the end.

Every day after work I drive to Bridgeport and marvel at this amazing building on the corner of West 4th and Dekalb Streets that is now mine. I talk to the contractor and we discuss the progress and all of the decisions that I have to make. At times it is still hard for me to believe that this is it. This is the real deal! Soon clients and their pets will walk through this door and we will be able to provide their pets with the best possible care. I may still be undecided about the color of the kennels but I can’t wait to serve this wonderful community!

By |2018-04-20T15:43:27+00:00April 20th, 2018|Uncategorized|11 Comments

About the Author:

11 Comments

1. Joanne Rounsaville April 23, 2018 at 2:39 am - Reply

So exciting ! Can’t wait to see it!

2. Maria Mc Donnell April 23, 2018 at 6:42 am - Reply

Congratulations Craig!๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽŠ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿป

Iโ€™m so happy for you that your dream has come true. Wishing you the best of luck in choosing the perfect colors for the kennels, in addition to building a successful business. I have every confidence in you that it will be a huge success.

Wishing you much love, luck and laughter in your new venture and in life. ๐Ÿ˜˜๐Ÿพ๐Ÿ˜ธ๐Ÿถ๐Ÿพ

3. Barb Swope April 23, 2018 at 11:09 am - Reply

Dr. McLahan is such a great doctor! He is very caring and can diagnose a problem when some other doctors canโ€™t seem to put their finger on the problem.
    He has a quiet manner but a very funny sense of humor.
    I believe this community is very lucky to have Dr. McLahan and his expertise looking after their beloved pets.

4. Julia April 23, 2018 at 3:32 pm - Reply

This is such an amazing accomplishment! Congratulations, Craig!

5. Antonia April 23, 2018 at 3:47 pm - Reply

This great. I want my own building too! Expect me to hit you up for advice when you’re done. You’ve come a long way since the money cart at the zoo!

6. Carole April 24, 2018 at 8:39 pm - Reply

I have 2 kittens that I take to Media. It will be nice to have a facility closer. I live in Norristown

7. Jennifer Dalasio May 16, 2018 at 2:37 pm - Reply

It is wonderful that this old but beautiful building is being revamped for such a wonder cause. The care and understanding of your message statement is refreshing and welcoming. I pass your building every day to and from work and wonder at the progress of your facility. I look forward to seeing more.

8. Meghan July 26, 2018 at 12:23 am - Reply

What are the rates for boarding a cat ๐Ÿฑ and dog ?

• Wendy August 11, 2018 at 11:39 pm - Reply

Please contact us for prices Meghan, thank you!

9. Audrey October 2, 2018 at 5:58 pm - Reply

Congratulations- proud of your accomplishments!

• Wendy November 9, 2018 at 7:48 pm - Reply